28 agosto 2011

one poem | three versions

Marina Alessio recently put together an expo where one of the pieces was a poem of hers translated into German, then back to Spanish, then to Japanese, then back to Spanish again, each time by a different bilingual poet.  Nine languages later, the Spanish translation was vastly different from the original.

I had the honor of making the last translation (to English) before the final Spanish version was created.
Here I include the original Spanish, my English translation after 8 other languages intervened, and a new translation made directly from the original.  It's cool, yo.

_______________________________


Spanish:

La tristeza también puede sedarte
Toda la tristeza del mundo
concentrada en un rincón
de una terraza alquilada
puede anular todas tus acciones
Estoy parada frente a tres cuadros
colgados en la pared de la casa de un extraño
Pienso: quiero ver todo como a través de tus ojos
Voy a recolectar cadáveres de insectos
Voy a completar la lista
y casarme con ellos
Toda la tristeza del mundo concentrada
puede trabar tus pensamientos
Un verso de Cecilia se aparece en mi cabeza y se repite:
Conocerte es lo único que me faltaba para completar mi educación
Camino por la calle y pienso:
Conocerte es lo único que me faltaba para completar mi educación
Conocerte es lo único que me faltaba para completar mi educación
Conocerte es lo único que me faltaba para completar mi educación
Toda la tristeza del mundo puede trabar tus pensamientos
Me muevo por abajo de la tierra y pienso:
Vos sos especial
Y te amo
Y te voy a amar por siempre.


English #1 (after being translated to and from 8 other languages):

Even pain can seem, at times, calming
If all of the pains in the world got together off in the corner of the balcony
There’d be nothing to do
Three messages lost on the wall
Written by a boy that worked
Across from me
I want to figure out how to get to know you better (I think)
You wrote something about cockroach bits and feet
Do you want to marry me?
With all the pains of the world united
I couldn’t think about anything else
Certainly not that we invite our friends to the wedding
If you’re with me I need nothing
If you’re close to me I need nothing
If you’re with me I need nothing
If you are yourself with me, nothing!!!
Imagining something more repulsive than
All the world’s pains doesn’t work
Why am I throwing myself about, feeling out my doubts
Because you are special, game over, I win you
From this moment on and forever



English #2 (from original poem):

Sadness can also sedate you
All of the sadness in the world
pent up in one corner
of a rented rooftop
can annul all of your actions
I’m standing in front of three paintings
hanging on the wall of a stranger’s house
I think: I would like to see everything as through your eyes
I’m going to collect the corpses of bugs
I’m going to finish the list
and get married to them
All of the sadness in the world pent up
can halt your thoughts
A verse by Cecilia pops into my head and repeats itself:
Knowing you was the only thing missing to complete my education
I walk down the street and think:
Knowing you was the only thing missing to complete my education
Knowing you was the only thing missing to complete my education
Knowing you was the only thing missing to complete my education
All of the sadness in the world can halt your thoughts
I move about beneath the earth and think:
You are special
And I love you
And I’m going to love you forever.

1 comentario:

  1. wow, amazing. i kind of really enjoyed the 1st english translation more, because it seemed a transformation. have you seen that site, babalize? where it kind of does something very similar, but via computer translators?

    ResponderEliminar